Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Energy Conservation Makes Me Panic

When I hear the phrase “energy conservation” my eyes glaze over; my pulse quickens and my stomach starts doing flip flops. When I hear that phrase, I know I am in for hours of boring lectures that might cover everything from how to drive my car to how to compost my vegetable waste. So, instead of talking about energy conservation, which can cover an infinite number of ways for me to feel bad about my behavior, I want to focus on saving money in two areas that mean something to me -my home electric bill and my home heating bill. I almost always feel better when I spend less money

I am not trying to dis the fine people working on the other parts of energy conservation, but to me, that phrase is too big. Its like have to wade through someone’s entire DNA genome description when all I want to know is, “what color is her hair?” A simple photo or a quick peak would do, right?

So, how do I get that photo or quick peak? Don’t Goggle “energy conservation”. You’ll spend hours looking at stuff that is really interesting but covers too much ground. You have to find a way to focus.

Adding the word “Home” to your goggle search helps focus the field of possibilities. Here is what I found from the first six choices searching for "Home Energy Conservation".

The first choice is powered by Chevron and it got really confusing for me. It went right into MPG and stuff that has nothing to do with my electric or heating bill.

The second choice must have happened because I’m in Indiana. It’s more about donating money than it is about saving money.

The third choice from the Northeast Sustainable Energy Association gets me a little closer to what I want but it’s more about how to build an energy efficient home and I am stuck with the one I have for now – so again, not real helpful.

Finally with the fourth, fifth and sixth choices, I got what I wanted.

Home Energy Saver claims it’s the “first web-based do-it-yourself energy audit tool”. Type in your zip code and start learning what it takes to save utility expenses right away. I liked it and there were lots of other links to get more information on remodeling ideas, “no/low cost” conservation actions and more.

The Home Energy Saver site above is run by the U.S. Department of Energy, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, which sponsors the fifth choice in the Goggle search, the EERE: Energy Savers Home Page. The side bar on the left takes you to details about your house that can help you get a handle on actions you can take to cut your utility bills.

The sixth choice takes you to HOME ENERGY MAGAZINE ONLINE. At first glance it looks like one more request for a subscription, but dig deeper. If you click on the Magazine link at the bottom of the masthead, you get into articles about specific topics utility saving steps. I clicked on the November/December 2008 Thermostat Setbacks- Do they really work and found coverage of a detailed study from Canada that answered every question I ever had about setback thermostats.

I think it’s great that so much attention is landing on the idea of reducing my carbon footprint. But, if ‘m going to make foot prints anywhere, I need some traveling cash. I get my travel money by reducing my utility bill payment footprint. And, I help save the world at the save time.

© 2008 Mark R. Daily

No comments: